This Friday, November 21st, TechSoup's NonProfit Commons in Second Life will feature Monique Richert (Chayenn in SL), who will present on Protect Yourself1’s engagement with HIV/AIDS education in support of World AIDS Day. World AIDS Day brings together people from around the world to raise awareness about HIV/AIDS and to demonstrate international solidarity in the face of the ongoing pandemic.
- More than 35 million people now live with HIV/AIDS, 3.3 million of them are under the age of 15.
- In 2012, an estimated 2.3 million people were newly infected with HIV - 260,000 were under the age of 15.
- Every day nearly 6,300 people contract HIV—nearly 262 every hour.
- In 2012, 1.6 million people died from AIDS. 210,000 of them were under the age of 15.
- Since the beginning of the epidemic, more than 75 million people have contracted HIV and nearly 40 million have died of HIV-related causes.
Statistics courtesy of amfAR
Honoring the day provides an opportunity for all of us to spread awareness about HIV/AIDS and encourage progress in HIV/AIDS research, prevention, care and treatment globally. World AIDS Day offers each of us the opportunity to show support for people living with HIV/AIDS by remembering our loved ones living with HIV and honoring those who have died.
Join us in Second Life!
Nonprofit Commons Weekly Meeting
Friday, November 21st, 8:30 AM PT / SLT
Plush Nonprofit Commons Amphitheater
AGENDA (all times below PT)
- 8:30 am Introductions
- 8:40 am TechSoup Announcements
- 8:45 am Mentors Central
- 9:00 am Featured Presentation - Monique Richert (Chayenn in SL), Protect Yourself1
- 9:45 am Open Mic / Announcements
Following the November 21st
Commons and PY1
are hosting a Virtual AIDS Walk on December 1, 2014 to commemorate the 26th
World AIDS Day. Join us in Second Life at 7:00 PM PDT at the NonProfit
Commons Plush Amphitheater SLurl
@ 95, 126, 26, then at 8PM
for a Networking Party at PY1's
virtual office SLurl
@ 242, 174, 24
There will not be a NonProfit Commons weekly meeting on November 28th, for our organizers and community members who are observing the Thanksgiving holiday. We will meet for the December 1st Virtual AIDS Walk, and then for our next scheduled meeting, on Friday, December 5th featuring Lynne Berrett (Lissenna Wisdomseeker in SL) of Whole Brain Health.
The mission of the Nonprofit Commons in Second Life is to create a community for nonprofits to explore and learn about virtual worlds, foster connections, and discover the many ways in which nonprofits might utilize the unique environment of Second Life to achieve their missions.